In the midst of winter weather, keeping your car running is essential no matter where you live. Making sure your car is able to run smoothly and efficiently makes your drives safer. Keeping yourself warm and running in the winter is just as important as keeping your car running. At Ford, we have designed all of our vehicles to last a lifetime.
But without proper care and maintenance, they aren’t able to do so. This is why it is important to do so on your end. Your car is a source of reliable transportation. We don’t want you to lose that. So, we’re here to provide you with some tips that’ll keep your car running in the harsh winter weather.
5 Tips to keep your car running
- Check your battery: Your battery is what keeps your car running. In cold weather, batteries often start to act finicky. This is why it’s important to perform a battery check prior to any severe winter weather. You can get your battery tested at your local Ford dealership or buy an at-home testing kit. If you’re in the time frame to replace your battery (every 3-5) years, then now is the best time to do so.
- Get an engine block heater: An engine block heater keeps your car’s engine warm in freezing temperatures. Ensuring that it is always ready to run when you need it to. These heaters are relatively inexpensive, ranging from $14-$35 depending on your engine. You can install the heater yourself or take it to a Ford dealership to have them install it for you.
- Full tank of gas: Having a full tank of gas is a small feat that has many benefits for keeping your vehicle moving in the cold. When your tank is full, it prevents the fuel from freezing and crystallizing, which causes serious startup issues for your car. So, we recommend keeping your tank halfway full or full at all times.
- Test Antifreeze: Antifreeze is your engine’s coolant that helps keep your engine running optimally during harsh weather conditions. It keeps your engine at an even temperature through temperature changes. So, it is important to check the levels before the winter weather commences.
- Check Belts and Hoses: Finally, before the storms approach, you should check your car’s belts and hoses. Cold weather makes them extremely brittle. As a result, you must always check on them so if they need replacing; you know before it’s too late. It is cheaper to fix them before they cause a serious engine failure issue.
Pay us a visit today.
If you notice any serious concerns with your vehicle, visit your local dealership today before the harsh weather ruins your car. Or give us a call at 859-34-6603 to schedule an appointment today. Our friendly mechanics are always there to help you out.